Monday 7 January 2008

preparing for World travel

Today is the 6th Jan 2008.
It is the first time for me to undertake anything like this. I type very slowly and my spelling and punctuation leaves a lot to be desired, but I will press on.

On the 5th Feb 2008, I, and my friend, (we are both pensioners) will be setting out on a trip around the world. This is the reason I wanted to write this "blog". People back home,who want to know how we are coping, will be able to keep a track on us, and those, who don't yet know us, will be able to offer advice, comments etc, if they so choose.

We will fly from Manchester to Singapore (via Heathrow) where we will stay for 4 nights. Then on to Darwin, after a short break there we will catch the "Gahn" (train) to Alice Springs. At this stop we will be taking an excursion to Ayres Rock, where we watch the sun set. We fly on to Sydney where we have a hire car awaiting us. This is the point when we meet up with relatives and 3 of us have booked to climb the harbour bridge on the 19th Feb. After Sydney my friend and I move on to Fiji and then home via L A where we stay for 7 days

I have travelled to many parts of the world previously, both with my late husband and with other friends. this is the first time with this particular friend. We met on our first day at Grammar school, almost 60 years ago. We are both widowed now and still feel we are able to travel. In the past I have been to China to India, Kenya, South Africa, all over North America (many times) South America twice, all over Europe, Malta, Cyprus, Greek Islands etc

Seen the Terracotta Army, the Taj Mahal, the Barrier Reef. Walked the Inca trail to Macchu Pichu and many, many other things.

I still feel that I need the help and advice of others to enjoy this experience to the ultimate, as I am feeling more apprehensive about this journey than any other since the very first excursion, in the 60's, to Jersey by bi-plane.

No comments: